JR Pass Eligibility
- Please make sure you understand the requirements before purchasing your JR exchange coupon. The Japan Rail Pass is a special pass that is available only to travelers visiting Japan from foreign countries for sightseeing. To be eligible to purchase this pass, you must meet one of the following two conditions.
- (1) If you are a tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sightseeing: You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of ‘temporary visitor’. ‘Temporary visitor’ entry status allows a stay in Japan of up to 90 days for sight-seeing, etc. When you enter Japan, entry personnel will stamp your passport as a temporary visitor.
- *Visitors who enter Japan under any other visa statuses are not eligible.
- *If you use an automated gate, no stamp will be applied to your passport. Either use a manned automated gate or ask a clerk to apply the stamp to your passport.
- (2) People who have both their valid Japanese passport and written proof obtained from the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where they live, that they have been living in that country for 10 or more consecutive years. To receive your exchange coupon, you must fill out this form and send it to us at time of purchase. (A child also holding a Japanese passport, will also need to be eligible and provide the same documents).
- Where travelers have a dual passport – Japanese & other, your valid non Japanese passport must be stamped with ‘Temporary Visitor’, Japanese national conditions above will apply.
- In the event that you are unable to exchange your pass in Japan because you fail to meet the eligibility requirements, Wilh-ma and the JR Pass Sales Agent (JTB) are not liable.
- See Japan and English version of complete T’s & C’s
JR Pass Validity
- The validity period of the pass is 4 days consecutive from the first date the pass is used.
- Four consecutive days of unlimited travel on designated JR train lines (including unreserved seats on limited express trains) in the Hokuriku Region. It can be a good pass for exploring the area around Kanazawa, Kaga Onsen, Fukui and other attractions in the region.
JR Pass Exchange Coupon Pickup Options
- Once JR Pass order is received, you will be notified when your exchange coupon is ready for collection.
- Collection is available in the following locations:
JTB Sydney Office:
Level 18, 456 Kent Street (Town Hall House)
JTB Melbourne Office:
Level 6, 31 Queen Street
- JTB Sydney Office:
JR Pass Exchange Coupon Delivery Options
- Delivery via Toll Express Mail is free. Delivery may take up to 3 working days from the date of issue. An email notification will be sent out once the exchange coupon has been sent out. Should you require courier delivery, there is $21.00 for Toll Courier. Please email us if you would like to opt this option.
- Delivery can only be made within Australia to a residential street address or business street address. Deliveries cannot be made to a PO box and PARCEL COLLECT/ PARCEL LOCKER address.
- Once sent to the given delivery address, unfortunately we do not take any responsibility in the occasion of any lost or stolen documents.
JR Pass Exchange in Japan
- Now you have got your exchange coupon, here is the instruction to exchange the coupon to JR Pass in Japan
- An exchange coupon is required to be finalised before departing Australia.
- The exchange order is valid for and must be exchanged within three months from the date of issue.
- You must exchange it in Japan at a valid exchange office within these three months in order to receive the actual JR Pass. Failing to make the exchange within the three months, the exchange coupon will no longer be valid for the exchange.
- Once the exchange is done, the JR Pass date can not be changed.
- To exchange the voucher for the Pass you will need your passport.
- The start date of the Pass can no longer be changed once the pass has been exchanged.
JR Pass Exchange Coupon Reissue
- After purchase and voucher issuance, a re-issue fee of $45 per change will apply for any name correction (This applies to corrections only. Completely different names will be treated as a cancellation), plus any delivery and credit card surcharges will apply ($8.50-Toll Express Mail, $21-Courier). You must send the original exchange coupon back to the office of purchase.
- Exchange coupons are valid for use within 3 months from the date of issuance and this validity period cannot be altered or extended. Any passes that are issued and go unused within the validity period may be re-issued within 12 months for $45, plus any applicable delivery and credit card surcharges.
- Neither an exchange coupon nor a Japan Rail Pass can be reissued if lost or stolen.
JR Pass Exchange Coupon Cancellation
- An exchange coupon can be refunded within 1 year of purchase. A 20% cancellation fee will be charged PLUS a non refundable deposit of $110 per person which can be held in credit for 12 months. Any credit card surcharge is non refundable. Please note that if you have exchanged the Pass in Japan, the ticket is non-changeable and non-refundable.
- You will need to send the original exchange coupon back to the office of purchase for a refund.
- Any changes made to date, type or length of a pass will be treated as a cancellation and cancellation fees will apply.